Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Embracing A New Community

Who needs to go on a vacation when you can enjoy FREE concerts, movies, and fun events in Long Beach? My friend introduced me to this flyer from the parks and recreation guide which has an array of events for all ages!!

I am really excited to get to know my new community.

I think in Christian communities, we often throw out the term "community" in the context of Christian fellowship as painted in the Scriptures. But somehow this doesn't always translate when we think about the neighborhoods we live in.

We separate ourselves from our neighbors by the fences we build, both physically and relationally. This especially happens in urban communities mostly because conditions are far from ideal. The question of safety and lack of trust are relevant concerns. However, how should we as Christians respond differently to our urban neighbors to be salt and light in the darkness that pervades us?

The enemy of stepping over our man-made fences is so often fear. Fear of what is different. Fear of how they might respond towards us. Will they accept us? Will they take advantage of us? Will they believe that our compassion and desire for friendship are genuine?

Nonetheless, if our love is full of fear, people can quickly see through the facade.

I remember almost four years ago as I was still transitioning to Southern California and was still experiencing some culture shock, my pastor challenged me: "In order to be a minister in the city, you have to love the city." At that point, I knew I had a long way to go in order to get to a place where I could say that I loved California, much less Long Beach. But now, four years later, I can say that I have grown to love this place. It is not perfect, but God is here and His work is so evident all around me.

He is giving me a new heart for my Long Beach neighbors and I am excited to embrace all that this community has to teach me. I am so grateful that God has the power to change hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment