Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Other 9.1%

Let's be honest...

UNEMPLOYMENT SUCKS.

Finding a job is a full-time job.
You work so hard going through the daily grind of job searching, constant resume and cover letter updating, making phone calls, exhausting your resources...
Only to wake up and do it all again the next day.
Meanwhile, watching your bank account dwindle...
Trying to make ends meet by taking odd jobs.
Your supposedly empty schedule becomes very full with endless tasks...
Because the list never goes away until you find a job.
Anxiety and fear creeps in.
You develop a plan B, C, D, and E.
Trying to be hopeful, open, flexible, but bordering desperation.
Ideals dwindle, and a job just becomes about survival.

Identity, rocked.
Security, unsure.
Anxiety, high.
Faith, tested.

I struggled writing tonight because this all feels so messy, so raw.
But it's honest.
I am being rocked on every level.
Yet, so is almost 9.1% of America.
I have a newfound compassion for the unemployed.

When I allow myself to zoom out on my life,
I have to believe that there is purpose in this season.
Even if it be a time of refinement in my faith,
growth in compassion for the poor and sojourner who face this on a daily basis,
or to be reminded of where my true identity lies.

My only hope is in Him and His promises.
God knows my needs and sees me.
He promises to provide.
It won't always be this way.

What would I do without the hope I have in Jesus?
What does the other 9.1% do?

"On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand."

2 comments:

  1. Michelle. I am sorry that this transition has been hard for you. But it makes me happy to see that God is working in your heart and refining your faith through this difficult process. I am thinking of you and praying for you always. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachy Rach. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. God is taking care of me each day even though the future feels daunting and so unknown. Taking my own advice and trying to learn how to trust Him with my future. :) Love you. Want to see you again.

    ReplyDelete