Monday, June 25, 2012

To Be or Not to Be

On the spectrum of doing and being -- I am much more of a doer.
I feel an urgency in me often to get up and be productive.
To cross things off the checklist.
To do things with and for people.

However, this isn't what is always needed.
For cultivating our inner spiritual lives and for human relationships.
Sometimes the simple act of being is most powerful.

As I am now 25 days in -- living in my new neighborhood -- living intentionally in community with other women -- I am being confronted with self and the Word on many levels.
The Lord gave me this verse this past week...

Paul writes in prison at the end of the book of Colossians, "Continue steadfastly in prayer being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also with us that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ on account of which I am in prison -- that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak. Conduct yourself wisely toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person" (4:2-6).

As I meditated on these verses, the concept of "being" just kept jumping out at me...

  • Be steadfast in prayer
  • Be watchful and alert
  • Be thankful
  • Be prayerful for opportunities
  • Be wise with outsiders
  • Be available and present and take advantage of the opportunities God gives
  • Be interruptable
  • Be gracious and gentle in speech
  • Be ready to give an answer when the opportunity arises
I am not completely sure what will need to happen for me to make this internal shift -- but I recognize that this is where it needs to start.
From the inside out.
If I am wanting to love my neighbors well -- my housemates -- and those around me, I need to change my strategy.
I need to hold my time my more loosely -- my schedule -- my plans.
I need to be basked in prayer and attuned to the Spirit's voice when it beckons me to go.
I need to practice gentle and gracious speech -- an area that I am realizing that I still have a lot of room to grow.

Who we are becoming is of far greater value to the kingdom than what we do.
I'm learning... still a bit anti-intuitive, but I'm trusting the Spirit to rewire my hard drive in time and make me a better "be-er." Oh wait. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment