Monday, July 16, 2012

Story Time: Being a Neighbor


What does it mean to be a neighbor? To love your neighbor as yourself? To seek out their welfare? These are the questions that we are seeking to live into the answer day-by-day in our new neighborhood.

After our huge Housewarming party, we were left with dozens and dozens of cookies and desserts. In an attempt to bless our neighbors, I put together some plates of cookies to bring over to our neighbors whom we've already established some sort of connection.

My first stop was at our neighbor's house -- Lucy. We met Lucy at our Yard Sale -- she has lived in the neighborhood for 40 years and is a veteran in this community. She is from Mexico originally, a school teacher, and a lovely woman. She is a wealth of knowledge in regards to the community and just a warm soul. As I knocked on her door, I was greeted by numerous family members and her roommate. Lucy greeted me with a big hug. I feel drawn towards Lucy -- so interested in hearing her story. She is a beacon of light in this community and quickly becoming an ally and friend. 

My second stop was at our Cambodian neighbor's apartment. She doesn't speak much English so our interactions were short. But she has made connections with my roommates who are Cambodian so she knows who we are. I dropped off the cookies and despite the language barrier, I was grateful for the connection.

Finally, I ran into Adamaris, an 8-year old Guatemalan little girl who lives behind us. She was walking her dog, Snoopy. I always see her and her family doing yard sales every weekend, so I decided to re-introduce myself. As I chatted with her, I asked her if she would introduce me to her family as I wanted to pass on some cookies. She was very friendly and brought me to her house. There I met her grandma Elvia and her high school brother, Walfred. They were very sweet, and in our short interaction, I knew that this was going to be a family where continued relationship would happen. They moved here from the Westside of Long Beach and the boy went to the same middle school where my church is now located -- Stephen's Middle. I left them the cookies, and went home. 
Later that evening, I found a note on our doorstep from Adamaris... it was identical to the note I left her earlier. She had also left me some cookies. I was so floored to receive this gift from her. It is one thing to give. But it is just as powerful to receive from your neighbors. It was such a great reminder that my neighbors have just as much to offer me in this season as I have to offer them. What a privilege to love and be loved in this community. I am hopeful that this is just the beginning of new and fruitful relationships with my neighbors. God has so much more in store than I can imagine. I hope to partner with Him in His work on our block. He's doing something....

"Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.  At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak. Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." Colossians 4:2-6

No comments:

Post a Comment